Chrono Trigger Review (Super Nintendo, 1995)


I finally played Chrono Trigger 18 years after its release and it may be my favorite game of all time. Why is that? Well, it’s the first RPG I’ve touched since Final Fantasy VIII. I remember liking the games involvement and having 3 more discs to look forward to. But I can’t say FF8 really counts since I played it without a memory card as adolescent, ouch! I haven’t touched an RPG since, the whole thing faded from me and I never looked back. Besides, I only bought it ’cause of the hype I kept hearing and I was able to pick just one game at Sears, so yeah that’s how advertisement works folks.







So this summer I decided to reconnect my Original Xbox and I noticed that whenever it’s connected I play the same damn ROMs, the Mario’s, Sonic’s and Donkey Kong’s. The Xbox is the only system I have since I barely game anymore. Since we’re on the subject, I’ve given the Xbox plenty of rest since I beat Chrono Trigger. That game couldn’t of came at a better time, the music spoke volumes to me. I was playing it about 4 hours a day, there was a point where I was gonna call it quits, ’cause I figured I had my fun, no need need to over do it. I do this with a lot of games, some of my favorite games are still unbeaten. That’s right folks, I just couldn’t get all those stars in Super Mario 64, and I never completed Zelda: A Link to the Past. These games are no walk in the park. So I started noticing patterns in the game and assumed there

was no need to keep time traveling. If I had stopped playing there I would of considered the game great and not much else but just between me and this review, when I first took step into Enhasa… I was in a whole other world. People say certain things aren’t real but music has a way of moving you, I can’t tell you how many times I replayed “Corridors of Time” after completing the game. The whole rhythm came at the right time in the game and twice as much since I was ’bout to call it quits. It heightened my curiosity in the best way possible. I suddenly had the enthusiasm to continue playing with much appreciation.


After playing Chrono Trigger I attempted to play other SNES RPG classics such as Final Fantasy III (VI), Secret of Mana, Earthbound and Super Mario RPG. Although I liked certain elements of each, such as the music in Final Fantasy III (VI) or the art design from Secret of Mana I think Chrono Trigger ruined the RPG genre for me. In fact, those games didn’t seem to lure me in like Chrono Trigger. To make a quick comparison, Chrono Triggers like mixing Final Fantasy III (VI) with Super Mario RPG and Zelda: A Link to the Past touched with music like Stickerbrush Symphony from Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy’s Kong Quest. I now have a list of RPG’s I want to play since I skipped them every generation, I wonder if Final Fantasy VII is as good as they say it is…



Grade: A+
Publisher: Square (1995)
Reviewed: September 2013

Original Xbox Softmod Kit